[j-nsp] M40 and Multilink PPP

Nils Swart nils at tdsdata.net
Mon Mar 28 15:34:56 EST 2005

Hi Michael,

>> (which is about OC-3 worth of bandwidth on the onboard ASM in an M7i)
>
> Ahhh, well, either way.  Faster than just about anything from vendor C ;)
> Thanks for clearing that up though....I'm deploying a small number of IPSec
> tunnels (~100mbit) and was a little worried we might hit that limit.  But
> it makes sense...everything in hardware, and the AS-PIC is just a FPGA like
> the rest of the kit....so they probably demand configure it to do whatevers
> needed.  There's always the backplane or CFEB limits to hit, but there's
> not enough ports in ours. :)

The basis for an ASM or AS-PIC are a large number of parallel flexible
programmable processors with dedicated packet processors hanging onto it
crammed into one package.

Depending on how it's configured and licensed (yes there's always a catch
isn't there) it will support anything from stateful firewalling, NAT, IDS,
IPSEC, monitoring, L2TP LNS, cRTP, MLPPP/LFI, and all sorts of tunneling)

Regarding James' remark: MLPPP/LFI for ASM/ASPIC has been introduced in
7.1R1.3, according to the release notes:

"LSQ interfaces on the AS PIC or ASM (AS PICs on all platforms and the ASM
in the M7i platform) When you configure an AS PIC or ASM to support the
Layer 2 service package, enables you to configure Link services
intelligent queuing (LSQ) interfaces on the PIC. LSQ interfaces support
JUNOS software CoS components, LFI (FRF.12), Multilink Frame Relay (MLFR)
user-to-network interface (UNI).network-to-network interface (NNI)
(FRF.16), and Multilink PPP (RFC 1990, The PPP Multilink Protocol (MP))."

-Nils