[j-nsp] Layer3 incompletes increasing

Niels Bakker niels=juniper-nsp at bakker.net
Wed May 11 12:48:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

* efraim at clues.de (Alexander Koch) [Wed 11 May 2005, 17:57 CEST]:
>On Wed, 11 May 2005 17:41:37 +0200, Niels Bakker wrote:
>[..]
>> None of those are happening on my LAN.  I've sent JTAC pcap files from a
>> traffic analyser right between the switch and the router but they don't
>> seem to be able to figure it out either.
>Incidentally I see the L3 incompletes on a certain IX port
>in Amsterdam as well. So that makes me even more clueless,
>as I understand I cannot catch them on the Juniper as the
>throwing- away is taking place before I can capture them.
>
>But then, it is definitely between 6.3R2 and 6.3-20050114.0
>so it cannot be that hard to trace down...?!

I heard from other people that those started when they went from 5.x to
6.3, they could've also been in 6.0, I don't recall exactly.

>> What I've found out so far is that nobody in the world really knows when
>> or why the "L3 Incompletes" counter increases; that it's 8-bits in the
>> hardware; but also that it and the "DA Rejects" counter step in close
>> harmony (at least in my case), which I'm still investigating.
>Yes, the 'DA Rejects' are increasing as well, I noticed that
>as well.

Those are pretty much accounted for by unknown unicast getting flooded
by switches of a certain exchange point.  But those shouldn't be counted
as L3 incompletes (if they are, which I haven't had time to verify yet).

	-- Niels.