[j-nsp] ipInIp interface got the same IPV6 address on both end?

zeng watchthinker watchthinker at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 09:31:52 EST 2005

Actually I want to setup a tunnel between 2 logical routers and use IPV4
tunnneling IPV6 traffic.

It is strange I can have OSPF3 get to full status and learn routes while
with RIPng I learn no route even I use a policy to export local routes to
RIPng...

juniper at p3# run show ripng neighbor logical-router r1
                    Source                           Dest               In
Neighbor     State  Address                          Address  Send Recv Met
--------     -----  -------                          -------  ---- ---- ---
ip-0/0/0.0      Up fe80::2a0:a5ff:fe12:6920         ff02::9  yes yes    1

[edit logical-routers]
juniper at p3# run show ripng neighbor logical-router r2
                    Source                           Dest               In
Neighbor     State  Address                          Address  Send Recv Met
--------     -----  -------                          -------  ---- ---- ---
ip-0/0/0.1      Up fe80::2a0:a5ff:fe12:6920         ff02::9  yes yes    1

[edit logical-routers]
juniper at p3# show r1 protocols ospf3
area 0.0.0.0 {
    interface ip-0/0/0.0;
}

[edit logical-routers]
juniper at p3# show r2 protocols ospf3
area 0.0.0.0 {
    interface ip-0/0/0.1;
}

[edit logical-routers]
juniper at p3# run show ospf3 neighbor logical-router r1
ID               Interface              State     Pri   Dead
10.0.6.2         ip-0/0/0.0             Full      128   36
  Neighbor-address fe80::2a0:a5ff:fe12:6920

[edit logical-routers]
juniper at p3# run show ospf3 neighbor logical-router r2
ID               Interface              State     Pri   Dead
10.0.6.1         ip-0/0/0.1             Full      128   37
  Neighbor-address fe80::2a0:a5ff:fe12:6920

>From: "Guy Davies" <Guy.Davies at telindus.co.uk>
>To: "zeng watchthinker" <watchthinker at hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: [j-nsp] ipInIp interface got the same IPV6 address on both
end?
>Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 14:16:34 -0000
>
>Shouldn't the network element of the address (i.e. the first 64 bits) be
unique?  A /64 is associated with a single link.  You're creating two
separate links here unless you're trying to create an ip-in-ip tunnel
between your two logical routers on the same physical router???  You've
created the them both using the same stub.  The fact that the eui-64
mechanism creates the same address is not entirely unexpected because I
suspect it uses a single MAC to derive the addresses (although it would
have been handy in some ways for the device to create different host
portions of the address).