[j-nsp] router dropping packets where there is no reason anywhereto be seen

Rafal Szarecki (WA/EPO) rafal.szarecki at ericsson.com
Thu Nov 3 04:35:00 EST 2005

Alexander,

I not katch what exactly problem you have but please see notes below:

The policing are executed on Internet Processor. All below M40e has only one IP II, so policing of ae interface is acurate.

On M160 traffib from single ae interface is spread in per packet roud robin to 4 SFM (each host single IP II). In fact if you configure 10Mbps policer, on each SFP 2,5Mbps policer is implemented.

On M320 and T-series Internet Processor  are located on PFE complex on FPC. Single for FPC except T640 FPC type 3 where two IP exist serving PIC0-1 and PIC2-3 respectivly. If ae member interfaces are served by different  PFE complexes, then again on each PFE policing rate is set proportionaly to number of members of ae group served by this PFE.
If traffic will be distributed equaly over ae members, then policing will be acurate. But this is not always true. The recommendation is to run per-flow load balancing which as deep hash as possible - this should help with egress policing. To the same on BD to improove ingress policing.

I do not know case when defaulr QoS settings introduce packetdrops. Of course if no congestion. By default all packets goes to queue 0 (Best-effort) regardless of DSCP/ToS/.1p/EXP. Only one exception is IPprec 7 and 6, which are placed to queue3 (5% rate, 5% buffer space -->200ms) , because this values are Network controll - routing.
QoS for ae was very week till latest JUNOS (7.3 or 7.4 - I'm not sure)

Rafał Szarecki JNCIE

skype me <callto://Rafal_Szarecki/>