[j-nsp] AS path rewriting (remove one AS)

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sun Nov 20 19:15:59 EST 2005

--On November 18, 2005 2:23:08 PM +0200 Cougar <cougar at random.ee> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> One (AS1) customer asked me could I eliminate our AS (AS2) from AS path
> that they get from us. Topology something like this:
>
> AS1 --- AS2 --- AS3 --- AS4 ...
>
> Currently they get prefixes with AS path "AS2 AS3 AS4 ..." but they would
> like to see "AS3 AS4 ..." ie it should look like they are directly
> connected with AS3 and not via us. Is it possible to do and if yes then
> who should remove AS2 from this path? We (AS2) or customer (AS1) itself?
>
> I heard that it is possible with quagga to do that (transparent-as) but
> is  it possible with Junos? Haven't found anything so far..

My answer to the customer would be if you don't know how or can't do it on
your gear then you don't know enough to know why you want to do it and thus
don't need to do it.  More diplomatically of course.  Seriously.  If they
can't, or don't know how on their own, I wouldn't enable them, because they
probably don't have enough $clue to really be needing what they think
they're needing.

Find out why they want it before you continue.  I don't know how
immediately offhand in JunOS but I'd bet it's easily possible.