[j-nsp] examining transit area's type 3 lsas in OSPF

AnupKumarT 70695 anupkumart at huawei.com
Tue Nov 22 02:16:07 EST 2005

Hello,

    Could anyone out there tell me why ABRs attached to transit area (TA) have to examine the TA's type 3 lsas.

    I am quite convinced that a better backbone path can be found. But regarding inter-area paths, there are 2 cases

1) vlink connects 2 disconnected backbones. Here, the ABRs attached to the TA already know the reachability to networks in other areas.

2) vlink connects a non-backbone area to the backbone. Here, the new ABR summarizes the non-backbone's networks into TA and backbone and viceversa.

In both cases, is it possible that a better inter-area path than the existing one can be found by the ABRs.
Why should the ABRs examine all type 3 lsas in the TA?

    I have a detailed document on this. It would become too cumbersome to read if I put it in mail.

Thanks and Regards,
Anup