[j-nsp] SNMP problem (M5, JUNOS 7.0R2.7)

jens.hoffmann at ddkom.de jens.hoffmann at ddkom.de
Mon Oct 17 12:04:59 EDT 2005

Hi,

I have a snmp problem with the following configuration :

snmp {
    traceoptions {
        file size 1000000 files 5;
        flag all;
    }
    description "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx";
    location "yyyyyyyyyyyyyyy";
    contact "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz";
    community abcd {
        authorization read-only;
        clients {
            a.a.a.a/32;
            b.b.b.b/32;
        }
    }
}

The traceoption flag "all" is only configured for the current
troubleshooting issue.

The snmp client a.a.a.a is polling the device for mrtg.
This works properly.

But I can notice "excessive" logging entries for the same snmp client like
this :

Oct 17 17:45:34 a.a.a.a: incoming packet to p.p.p.p failed input processing
(code 1)
Oct 17 17:45:34 SNMPD_AUTH_PRIVILEGES_EXCEEDED: validate_SNMP_community:
a.a.a.a: request exceeded community privileges.

I have suspected the admin of the mrtg to try a snmp write i.e.
But he denies this.
What is a possible reason for the "failed in processing code 1)" entry ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards
Jens