[j-nsp] "low route" with BGP examples?

Pedro Roque Marques roque at juniper.net
Tue Oct 18 18:21:16 EDT 2005

Thomas Mangin wrote:
> Pedro Roque Marques wrote:
>

>>>However, I fail to see how flow are useful in that setup as we are not
>>>using them in filters but to tag routes.
>>
>>flow routes are used for traffic filtering.
>

> This can be done with scu, could someone give me the advantage of using
> flow against something like this.

You can indeed use SCU to do source-based filtering that is propagated
via routing. And DCU for destination-based filtering...

Flow routes however allow you specify any criteria that you can
configure in a (stateless firewall) and that is not "hop" specific (e.g.
ttl).

Also, the inet flow address family implies a given validation procedure
(which can be turned off). Essentially "flow" advertisements are only
accepted if they have been advertised by the unicast next-hop of the
destination prefix. The hope is that this will allow for automated
filtering in a inter-as scenario.

Additionally there is also flow support for "inet-vpn" family. So you
can propagate this flow filtering information on a per instance basis.

SCU and rpf-check are useful tools for a given set of applications.
imho, inetflow has a slightly different application set.

   Pedro.