[j-nsp] VLAN tagging on fxp?

Kristian Larsson kristian at juniks.net
Fri Sep 9 01:29:18 EDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 05:04:18AM +0000, Chris Morrow wrote:

> So, this sounds a lot like the bay switch I have :( 'port based' and
> 'tagged' which confused the hell out of me for a long time :( I found I
> had to put switch ports into vlans in more than one config/setup screen,
> it was just non-intuitive :( So, does this switch ONLY do port-based for
> ALL or can you get a trunk on 1 and port-based for the rest? perhaps it's
> like the bay and you have to config it in 2 places to get port 1 in vlan
> 12 and port 2 in vlan 13 and port 8 as a tagged port ?
Unfortunately this one is not like the bay or any
other switch. The port I'm connected to is tagged
end of story :(

If we just for a second pretended it was a Cisco
which made is possible to send untagged traffic,
I might still want to be able to tag my mgmt vlan,
right? And I'm able to but it's setup at 1496
bytes of MTU which is just braindead since the fxp
interfaces in FreeBSD can handle VLANs with a full
MTU of 1500 so this must be some Juniper imposed
limit.

I can probably do without the mgmt until I replace
the switch but then again that's not really what
I'm after here. There might be another time I wanna
tag my mgmt vlan, perhaps just for a temporary
setup, what do I know!?
Well, I do know that when purchasing a box that
cost more than a small car I wanna be able to tag
my mgmt vlan :)

Any Juniper folks who can comment on this?

Regards,
Kristian