[j-nsp] VLAN tagging on fxp?

Kristian Larsson kristian at juniks.net
Fri Sep 9 02:36:24 EDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 06:13:21AM +0000, Chris Morrow wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Kristian Larsson wrote:
> >>So, this sounds a lot like the bay switch I have :( 'port based' and
> >>'tagged' which confused the hell out of me for a long time :( I found I
> >>had to put switch ports into vlans in more than one config/setup screen,
> >>it was just non-intuitive :( So, does this switch ONLY do port-based for
> >>ALL or can you get a trunk on 1 and port-based for the rest? perhaps it's
> >>like the bay and you have to config it in 2 places to get port 1 in vlan
> >>12 and port 2 in vlan 13 and port 8 as a tagged port ?
> >
> >Unfortunately this one is not like the bay or any
> >other switch. The port I'm connected to is tagged
> >end of story :(
> >

> bummer indeed :(
>
> >If we just for a second pretended it was a Cisco
> >which made is possible to send untagged traffic,
> >I might still want to be able to tag my mgmt vlan,
> >right? And I'm able to but it's setup at 1496
>
> I'm not sure why you'd want to tag the mgmt vlan anyway (aside from the
> current switch issues)... for our things we just point the fxp0 into the
> switch then put all 'router' things on one vlan with all 'switch' things
> on another and so forth... each port used (minus the uplinks into whatever
> routes for the 'management network') is just a normal switch port
> (untagged). Anyway, difference in philosophy probably :)
Well, I dont know. I can't even give a scenario
(different from the one presented here of course)
and I agree with you and normally we do it just
like you say.

But when it's possible to tag packets with FreeBSD
(afaik) and JunOS is built upon and JunOS can't
handle it there seems to be a restriction imposed
and that's what I'm after here.
When the support is there in FreeBSD it should
"come for free" on JunOS, but obviously it
doesn't. Why?
We could go through all the functions of any
router and question it's existance and use since
you could probably solve every problem with a
different solution. But more features give you
more options which is one of the reasons I go with
Juniper since they usually have it all. I can do
just about what I want. I wanna be able to tag my
mgmt vlan! :)

Still; any @juniper.net folks have any comment on
this?

Regards,