[j-nsp] VLAN tagging on fxp?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Sep 9 03:36:34 EDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 09:02:38AM +0200, Kristian Larsson wrote:

> It'd be grand if you could fix it somehow (don't forget
>  backporting to FreeBSD and sending in a patch).
> Please keep the list informed of any progress.

As the PR says, it has been fixed since 2001. The problem is that JunOS is
still using an fxp driver that is older than that. If properly motivated
(translation: if they decide it is worth their time to fix it), Juniper
should be able to sync up with the modern FreeBSD fxp driver (translation:
you'll see this fixed in new code in about 4-6 months).

I know people who have been asking for this fix since before 2001, but you
are nagging louder than they did, you are a new customer with a support
contract I presume, and you seem to have a better reason for wanting it
than they did. Juniper just synced up a lot of what appears to be
4.10-STABLE as of 7.3, so if they didn't get the fxp driver then, maybe
you've got a decent shot of getting them to fix it now. :)

That said, you should probably toss that crappy switch whether Juniper
fixes it or not. :)