[j-nsp] VLAN tagging on fxp?

Chris Morrow morrowc at ops-netman.net
Fri Sep 9 16:37:56 EDT 2005

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Robert Kiessling wrote:

> Chris Morrow <morrowc at ops-netman.net> writes:

>>> In order to have different management networks. For example one semi
>>> in-band on an MPLS VPN and one out-of-band using a fully separate
>>> infrastructure.
>>
>> so you mean a production (sonet/gig/fe/NOT-fxp) interface in a vrf and
>> the fxp0 interface... So, why tagging again?
>
> No. I mean on a pure P router two VLANs on fxp0, where one VLAN is
> served by another PE router connected to the same switch.

Maybe I misunderstood something, but the fxp0 isn't supposed to actually
end up in the normal routing table on the juniper, so if you do normal
management 'semi in band' (say in a dedicated management vrf) and you have
a true 'out of band' network for management that connects to the fxp0 you
don't need trunking.

I suppose you could make things complicated and do other things, but...