[j-nsp] as-path rewrite

Sorin CONSTANTINESCU consta at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 06:16:45 EDT 2005

Hi, all.

I have the following topology:

AS1 - AS99 (L3 Mpls VPN) - AS2 - AS99 - INTERNET

My customer (AS2 - public AS Number) buys from the company i work for
2 services:

1) Internet Access
2) VPN between his location, and AS1 (also public AS Number).

The problem i have is that when i receive a prefix originated by AS1
on the Internet Transit BGP session, the AS-PATH is: 1 99 2 . Our
network is a mixture of Juniper and Cisco routers. I used "allowas-in"
on the neighbor to the customer, but the Juniper routers won't import
this prefix throughout the network. I know i can use

a at R1# set loops ?
Possible completions:
  <loops>              Maximum number of times this AS can be in an AS
path (1..10)
[edit routing-options autonomous-system]
a at R1# set loops

... but i don't consider this an option.

Has anyone ever ran into this problem? As far as i see it, i have the
following options:

- use private "local-as" for the BGP sessions between AS99 and AS1/AS2
for the MPLS VPN BGP sessions (haven't tested this one so far)
- ask the customer to configure EBGP Multihop between AS1 and AS2, so
that my own AS won't be in the AS-PATH

I wish i could AS-PATH rewrite :))

Thanks,
--