[j-nsp] Constructing a PCMCIA recovery disk for an M5 under Windows

Steinar Torsvik steinar at fasthost.no
Fri Sep 30 04:01:41 EDT 2005

Hi,

> (I presume there was a PCMCIA recovery flash disk shipped with the
> router originally, but nobody knows where that is.)

We had to pay extra for this PCMCIA adapter and CF card.

> Does anybody happen to know of a good set of instructions for
> constructing a PCMCIA recovery disk for an M5 from the disk image,
> under Windows?

you have to use some kind of "raw" disk writing utils - i have no idea
how to do this with M$ - but somebody here might have a secret trick :-)

> Also, can anybody confirm that a CF card with a PCMCIA adapter will
> do the trick? I can't imagine why it wouldn't, since it should look
> the same to the host as a regular PCMCIA flash disk, but you never know.

I have tried twinmos and some other CF card brands - it turns out that
only Sandisk will work. According to a Juniper guy i spoke with at CeBit
he told me that any Sandisk would work but we should buy the expensive
Juniper ones to be certain to get enough speed in the CF card :-)

If you use another brand you might encounter the problem that the CF
card is not identified by the BIOS and will not boot.

Remember that the install-media for the recovery will erase all
configuration - so, do a backup first :-)

Good luck!

--
Regards,

Steinar Torsvik