[j-nsp] Ip header problem - G/E 1000Base-LX

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Apr 5 16:45:57 EDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 12:23:34PM -0700, Warren Kumari wrote:
> I had almost exactly the same issue with a GE PIC...
>
> Turns out that someone "didn't know" that you have to pull the
> ejection lever before installing the PIC, so they put it in the
> chassis and pushed -- when it wouldn't slide in easily, he sat on the
> floor, put his feet on the PIC and pushed as hard as he could -- it
> hopped the rails and slid against the next PIC / rail...
>
> Link would come up but I would get weird short packets -- lots of
> truncated  / corrupted packets (usually just after the ethernet
> header (MPLS or IP)) , runts, etc.
> Reseating the PIC (or sometimes just offline/online cycles) would fix
> it for a bit...
>
> Here is a photo of the damage: http://www.kumari.net/gallery2/
> main.php?g2_itemId=698

Ok, this story has so inspired me that I started a page for people to
upload pictures of their damaged hardware on juniper.cluepon.net:

http://juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Damaged_Hardware

I know I have tons more damaged hardware floating around, some of it
rather impressive, just a matter of digging up pictures of it all.
Everyone feel free to contribute their personal favorites. :)