[j-nsp] Very disappointed with Juniper

W. Kevin Hunt khunt at huntbrothers.com
Sat Apr 8 13:09:56 EDT 2006

Hmm...
I've been lurking for 3 weeks trying to decide if our next border router
  should be another Cisco 12k or a Juniper.  We acquired a Juniper M20
during the acquisition of a defunct carrier's assets, so I'd like to use
it but I'm not "comfortable" enough with it yet to put it on the border
and "learn it" while it's there.

I manage 2 - 12012's right now and am somewhat disappointed in the
feature set available on them.
I have a few questions regarding Juniper as I've never had the pleasure
of sitting at the console of one :

1.) JUNOS seems steeped in BSD, one of my favorite OS's, is it true you
can run FreeBSD compiled binaries on JUNOS ?

2.) How is "controller redundancy" handled on the Juniper platform?

3.) Anyone here had to deal with 6-8 mpps ddos attacks on a Juniper, and
  if so, was the juniper cli responsive during the attacks, and what
mitigation abilities did the Juniper give you?  I'm accustomed to just
plain ios acl's for mitigation which is tough when there are 8-9 hundred
sources.

4.) What are the support and upgrade options on equipment that one did
not purchase "new".  i.e. we acquired this M40, it seems to have JUNOS
4.1 on it.  What kind of expense am I looking at to get the latest JUNOS
on it and basic telephone support for it?

--
W. Kevin Hunt
CCIE #11841

"There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those that understand
binary and those that do not."

Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> I recently moved over several chan DS3s and a few clear DS3s from some ancient
> 7507s to a Juniper M20... It was very exciting to get this new router, 40Mpps
--snip--
  IOS version that actually works properly.  What ever happened to
unexplained