[j-nsp] BGP label allocation error...

Alexander Tarkhov karabass at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 17:31:30 EDT 2006

Hi Brian,
One very strange static route should solve it.
If there is no CE router in this VLAN, then you have to manually configure
some host (/32) route inside the VRF (routing instance) pointing to itself.
This is not well documented, so I can't say why. Here is an example
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos75/swconfig75-vpns/html/vpnl3-trouble14.html
This static route is only required for multiaccess vrf interfaces without
directly connected CE router. Hope it helps.

-Alexander

P.S. Alternative way of solving this can be use of vrf-table-label command,
which totaly changes label allocation, and brings other advantages too. I
think it's better to go with simplest solution however.

On 4/11/06, Brian W. Gemberling <brian at pulltheplug.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to help a friend with a problem.  They have a directly
> connected VLAN on a GE port they want in a VRF.  They have added this
> interface to the VRF and it works locally.  It, however, is not getting
> passed via BGP to other routers.  Below is the route,
>
> * 65066:101:10.253.0.0/24 (1 entry, 1 announced)
>   BGP group ibgp-route-reflector-clients type Internal
>       Route Distinguisher: 65066:101
>       BGP label allocation failure: Need a nexthop address on LAN
>       Nexthop: Not advertised
>       Localpref: 100
>       AS path: I
>       Communities: target:65066:101
>

> I'm assuming the issue is "BGP label allocation failure: Need a nexthop
> address on LAN".  I've never seen this error before.  Can anyone shed
> some light on this for me?  Thanks!

* most punctuation intentionally omitted for your temperament.