[j-nsp] BGP label allocation error...

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Mon Apr 10 18:45:30 EDT 2006

The reason is because the IP/R chip cannot do both a label and IP route
lookup in one pass without vrf-table-label or a VT-interface. As a
result a label is not advertised for multi-access VRF interfaces unless
a next hop has been learned over that interface. This prevents the black
hole condition that would result from having the IP/R chip do a label
lookup only to find no L2 rewrite information in the egress interface.

The second lookup is needed to populate the L2 rewrite table when a
multi-access VRF interfaces is in use. This is not needed for a p-t-p
vrf interface. In effect, the funky static route primes the L2 re-write
table so that additional ARP exchanges are no longer necessary for L2
rewrite; this allows the label to be process by the IP/R chip while
still having the correct L2 encap added at egress. Note that IP level
firewall features are not available in this mode because the route
lookup chip is performing a label, not an IP packet operation. Normally
the workaround involves a /30 static in the vrf pointing to the attached
CE; if there is no CE then it would seem, based on the link below, that
you can point the static to PE itself.

The vrf-table-label deal binds each VRF to a unique label, such that
egress VRF can be identified at ingress by the B/LI chip. This frees the
IP/R chip to perform a L3 lookup, which can include IP level firewall as
a result. VT-interface effectively loops the packet back through the
IP/CF for L3 lookup (and firewall), but this requires tunnel pic
hardware.

As a side note, the static route is not needed if the PE is learning any
routes from the CE via a dynamic routing protocol like BGP or ospf.

 HTHs