[j-nsp] Bringing DM multicast into a SM domain

Leonard Giuliano lenny at juniper.net
Wed Apr 19 14:31:32 EDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, Jee Kay wrote:

-) On 18/04/06, Leonard Giuliano <lenny at juniper.net> wrote:
-)
-) > The key is having the RP get "tickled" with state so that it knows about a
-) > source when it receives a (*,G) join.  When mcast data packets hit an RP
-) > on an interface with PIM-SM configured, this is enough to create the
-) > necessary state.  This seems to work whether the source is local or
-) > non-local.
-)
-) I have just tried exactly this (sparse-mode on the interface facing
-) dense source, source traffic definitely hitting Juniper), but no PIM
-) state is created and no SAs are announced to MSDP peers.
-)

Try "show multicast route".  You should should see forwarding state there.
You won't see any pim state until someone sends a join to the RP.

Unfortunately, the RP will not originate MSDP SAs with this mechanism.

-) Do you have any sample config I could try? I literally just have a
-) standard PIM with local RP config here.
-)

Same config here.  Obviously this is limited functionality as it will
only work with a single RP.  For fuller functionality, you'll probably
need an enhancement request.