[j-nsp] Addressing fxp0

Jee Kay jeekay at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 16:28:25 EDT 2006

I'm wondering how everyone else uses fxp0 for their OOB management...

Basically, what I am doing at the moment is that I have a 'network
management' VLAN. Into this VLAN does the Junipers' fxp0 interface, as
well as management interfaces for the various L2 switches in a given
environment.

The 'correct' route for data to flow to this VLAN/subnet should be as follows:

Client -> Router (Juniper..) -> Firewall -> Device being managed

Now the problem is that the Router has an interface in the management
subnet. As a result, when the packet hits the Juniper it says firstly
'oh look I have a directly connected interface to there', shortly
followed by 'oh its fxp0; ICMP Destination Unreachable'.

Is there any way to tell the Juniper to not attempt to use fxp0 for
routing _at all_? Since it actually won't route to there anyway I
don't really see why it's even considering this interface when making
lookup decisions.

Failing that, how does everyone else get around this problem?

Thanks,
Ras