[j-nsp] Link Problems between P-1GE-LH and Cisco 3524 with LX Gbic

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Aug 21 18:33:05 EDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 04:39:10PM +0200, Joerg Staedele / Trusted Network wrote:

> We have a P-1GE-LH which is connected via a 2m long Singlemode-Cable and
> "Dampening Units"(?) to a Cisco LX Gbic in a Cisco 3524.

Hopefully you only have an attenuator on the LH->LX strand of the cable,
not on the LX->LH strand. If you have it on both, this could be the cause
of your problem, as optics tend to transmit less signal as they age.

> So i'm unsure about the problem. Are there any possibilities on the
> Juniper (maybe some hidden/unsupported commands) to check the PIC and/or
> optics on it?

The commands to check light levels are never hidden, if a vendor supports
it they're usually quite proud of it (even if the calibration is shit, I
can't tell you how many of my cards show a stronger signal on the RX side
than the TX side). But there is definitely no support for light level
monitoring on the old style fixed optics cards or GBICs.

> Or does someone have another idea?

The answer to so many of life's mysteries can be found with a light meter.
If you were operating on the outer edge (or over) your optical budget
before, check to make sure nobody kinked or bent the fiber. MMF you can
bend and throw around like nothing, but SMF will leak signal if you bend
it too much.