[j-nsp] Conditional advertising of default routes

Julian Cowley julian at lava.net
Fri Feb 3 18:37:45 EST 2006

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006, Thomas Salmen wrote:
>> You could ask your transit providers to send you a default route as well as
>> full routes?
>
> If they don't have a default route, they might not want to do so, if
> that'd mean they'd have to put a default route in their boxes.
>
> Actually, we have the same issue as Jee Kay.  Using a default route
> generates all sorts of (difficult-to-notice, and -debug) corner cases,
> but we really don't want to push full 200K routes on all our routers
> either..

Can you expound on these corner cases?

When we took a look at this issue last year, we came to conclusion
to always originate a default route from both of our Junipers
simultaneously.  This sounds exactly like Jee Kay's configuration now.
Even if its upstream link goes down, a router can still be used as
a gateway since it will just punt to the other router via OSPF or iBGP.

We've had more problems with using a default network (in Cisco
speak) where you look for a particular route from your upstream.
If that network disappears, the router will silently stop announcing
a default route.

--
"Seemed like to me would make them a step closer to achieving that
objective and we have an obligation in order to keep the peace to