[j-nsp] issue with internal flash upgrade kit on M7i

Hahn, Ch HahnC at t-systems.com
Wed Feb 8 03:28:12 EST 2006

Hello list,

many thanks for the quick and helpful reponses. I really appreciate it :)
There were different suggestions in the mails and I did the following:

I checked the bootvars:

root at redhorn% sysctl machdep.bootdevs
machdep.bootdevs: pcmcia-flash,compact-flash,disk,lan
root at redhorn% sysctl machdep.nextbootdev
machdep.nextbootdev: pcmcia-flash

This looks ok to me, CF is on the second postition and disk on the third, so the router should try the CF before it tries the HD.

Then I checked the CF with the hidden diag command:

chh at redhorn> request chassis routing-engine diagnostics compact-flash
Found following device in system boot messages
ad0: 245MB <SanDisk SDCFB-256> [980/16/32] at ata0-master PIO4
/dev/ad0s1a: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/ad0s1a: clean, 91780 free (12 frags, 11471 blocks, 0.0%
fragmentation)
- -> Reading files from /dev/ad0s1a (/altroot)
/dev/ad0s1e: FILESYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/ad0s1e: clean, 12309 free (13 frags, 1537 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)
- -> Reading files from /dev/ad0s1e (/altconfig)
- -> Compact flash passed the read test.

This looks also ok to me, but what confuses me is that the CF only has two slices that look like backups (/altroot, /altconfig). So it seems to me there is no bootable system on the CF.
As I understand it from the imstall instructions that came with the CF, the recommended "request system snapshot partition" should do that and copy the running system on the CF and not only a backup.
Any ideas or hints?

thanks in advance,
Christian