[j-nsp] M10 maximum throughput

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Jan 9 20:27:32 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:42:51PM -0800, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> [...]

Trying to figure out a realistic worst-case bandwidth capacity based on a
packet/sec capacity is silly at best, but if we really are going to do
that, lets at least acknowledge that 2.5Gbps isn't it.

The raw bandwidth limitation is 4Gbps, so the 3.2Gbps number is already
calculated to be exclusive of J-cell HEADER overhead but not of J-cell
PADDING overhead. This means that the actual bandwidth is 3.2Gbps when
evenly divided into 64 byte chunks, which obviously means that the worst
case packet is going to be 65 bytes. 65 bytes of IP consumes 128 bytes of
J-cell bandwidth, which means that our 3.2Gbps is consumed in just
1.625Gbps of IP.

I think the 2.5Gbps "safe bet" stuff comes from the assumption that
Juniper made the FPC "OC48 safe" but not "4xGE safe", which is not true.
SONET has less overhead with small packets, so an OC48 with 40 byte
packets will do 6.1Mpps, while 4xGE with 46 byte packets will top out at
4*1.448Mpps = 5.792Mpps. OC48 w/65 byte packets will do 4.5Mpps, which is
of course more than the 3.125Mpps of capacity you'll get off an FPC1
burning 2 cells per packet.

Also, in reference to the URL above, that packet size distribution data
appears to be over 10 years old. The only part that is probably still
relevent on today's internet is that half of the packets are ACK's, which
means you should never try to base your utilization calculations on
averages or "internet mix" numbers. What you're really seeing is the vast
majority of your "content" packets at 1500 bytes in one direction, being
acknowledged by 40 byte "ack" packets in the other direction, and a bunch
of misc sizes for all that "other" stuff (gaming, http requests, etc). Of
course the numbers 40 and 1500 are approximate, since even Windows now
tries to negotiate at least SACK, and sometimes RFC1323 timestamps and
window scaling too. If you are a web hoster, your 1500's will all be piled
up in one direction and your 40's will all be piled up in the other
direction, so be sure to make your inbound packet/sec calculations
assuming approx 40 byte packets. :)