[j-nsp] (Again) Rewriting IP precedence

Rafal Szarecki (WA/EPO) rafal.szarecki at ericsson.com
Tue Jan 10 09:20:45 EST 2006

Sorin,

If your rewrite rule is is applied on R2 interfaces, then system works as designed.

On Router 2, for traffic going to host_B, the lookup_key (notification cell) do not contain DS.-field/ToS. Also egress I/O manager is not able to rewrite filds in IP header. As you notice you can rewrite EXP. But then R4 has to do DS.-field/ToS rewrite, becouse only this router has access to IP header at egress B-chip. And note that default rewrite rule for IPv4 is " do nothing".

The reason why traffic going to Host_C is fine, is obvoius if your networ is going to implement PHP/explicit null label (default) or if you know that implicit null label is stripped by ingess B-chip. (and create somthing like logical interface.) Thus, from IP II and egress B-chip point of view traffic to Host_C is regular IP traffic.

Rafał Szarecki JNCIE

skype me <callto://Rafal_Szarecki/>