[j-nsp] IP1 vs IP2

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jan 11 18:47:36 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:04:16PM -0800, Harry Reynolds wrote:
> I will try.
>
> IP1 can load balance over only 8 paths, IP II supports 16.
>
> IP1 does per prefix, or per-packet. IP II does per prefix (default) or
> per flow.
>
> IP1 can do firewalls/policing for RE based traffic only. IP II adds this
> capability for transit traffic as well. I honestly cannot recall if IP1
> can do policing for RE traffic; I think it can.
>
> That's all I can think of.  HTHs

Also, IP1 cards only shipped with 4MB of SSRAM vs the 8MB or higher in all
the IP II cards I know of, so you get less capacity to hold routes in the
PFE.

I've seen people keep SSB non-E's around in their M20s as a "cheap backup"
so that incase the primary SSB fails the router keeps working, you just
lose your filtering etc capabilities.

Some very anemic pages in need of more content:

http://www.juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Internet_Processor
http://www.juniper.cluepon.net/index.php/Internet_Processor_II

There is a reference to CoS functionalities in there, but I'm not sure
what that is about specifically.