[j-nsp] stacked vlan

R Che jlablab at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 16:01:59 EST 2006

Yes, I can achieve this with a Cisco catalyst 6500. however, with Juniper, I'm not sure how to do this.

  The example you gave me is to *match* the frame with dual vlan tags? not to push two vlan stacks? I thought this is to push two vlan tags as said on page 394.

  I also went through the JunOS Doc about stacked vlan, but I'm confused about the examples there (as usual in other examples).

  On page 394 of JunOS Network Interfaces, example "Push a TPID and VLAN ID pair on ingress", I configured exactly like this.

  I have traffic coming to ge-4/0/0 with vlan tag 512, however, I sniffed what's sent out from ge-4/2/0, I found single vlan tag is 512.. shouldn't it be outer vlan tag 520 and inner vlan tag 512. It looks to me vlan 520 is popped on ge-4/2/0?

  why the input-vlan-map requires an output-vlan-map pop operation? I can't commit it without output-vlan-map pop.

  the input-vlan-map applies to the incoming traffic only? or does it also apply to outgoing traffic?

  thanks for all helps!

  sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
  > can someone show me a good link on how JunOS process stacked vlan frames?
> if I send frame with single 802.1q vlan tag, I want the ingress port on my M10 tag it with an outer vlan, then forwards it out through an egress port.
> can someone provide sample config?

This sounds more like something you would do with a switch, for instance
what Cisco calls "QinQ" or "dot1q-tunnel".

An M router with suitable GigE IQ PIC can explicitly match outer *and*
inner VLAN tag, and this is very useful in some situations. Example
configs:

stacked-vlan-tagging;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 1 {
vlan-tags outer 1010 inner 102;
family inet {
address 10.81.254.1/24;