[j-nsp] Re: Running a code on router

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Thu Jan 12 16:56:49 EST 2006

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 09:43:37PM +0000, Michael Shields wrote:

> Unfortunately, those likely to use weak passwords and leave their
> routers ssh-accessible are also those who are least likely to notice
> a reload or config change.  So if there is going to be a knob to
> enable running unsigned code, it ought to be really hard to turn,
> maybe requiring physical access to the router.  Otherwise the first
> person to crack a password will just turn off the signature checking,
> and then Juniper might as well not have implemented it at all.

I suppose you could make everyone happy by adding a sysctl which can only
be set while in single user mode, if you could tie it in to whatever
persistant storage Juniper uses for things like machdep.bootdevs without
requiring a bios upgrade.

It doesn't even have to be offical, if you can't figure out how to set a
sysctl in single user mode on your own, you probably don't deserve the
title of power user anyways. You could probably solve the obvious
"upgrading to 7.5" problem with a flag passed through the existing
pkg/installer system, telling it not to activate the exec security while
upgrading.

Pffft who am I kidding, that'll never happen. Easier just to turn off
unsigned binary execution and tell the power users to suffer. :)