[j-nsp] MTU/MRU issues on ERX-310 (LNS)

Andy Lamontagne alamontagne at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 21:07:06 EST 2006

Hey everyone,

I've been trying for more than 3 days to get our ERX-310 (LNS) in service.
After 2 1/2 days troubleshooting with JTAC, we were finally able to bring up
the session (L2TP).

Now that we can connect and get an IP from RADIUS, we are running into a MTU
and/or MRU issue.

According to documentation (and JTAC) we should only need to inlcude

ppp mru 1442

in our profile.

The setup looks like this

l2tp destination profile "profile_name" virtual-router "virtual_router_name"
ip address 10.x.x.x
remote host "remotehostname"
 profile "profilename"
local host "localhostname"
local ip address 10.x.x.x
disable proxy lcp
enable proxy authenticate

profile "profilename"
ip unnumbered loopback 0
ip sa-validate
ppp mru 1442
ppp authenticate pap

When connected via PPPoE (software or xDSL/router modem) we are unable to
access many sites (ex: www.hotmail.com) and use the MSN Messanger client.

We've tried different configurations (ex: setting MTU to different values,
MRU to different values as well as "ip tcp adjust-mss" to different values)
and no luck.

We also have "ip tunnel reassembly" enable on the router.

We do not have access to the LAC, but we do have a Cisco Router as an LNS
working without a problem.

We have tried to mirror the config from our existing / functioning Cisco
LNS, but have had no luck.

Has anyone had any experience setting up an ERX as an LNS connecting to
another ERX ( - 1410- LAC) ...

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Andy