[j-nsp] 'monitor interface traffic'-like feature for firewall counters

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jan 18 22:40:53 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 01:33:44PM -0800, Jonathan Disher wrote:
> Is there a feature somewhere to watch firewall counters in realtime in
> JunOS?  Alternately, is there an SNMP OID to retreive counter values for
> graphing?

Oh I forgot to mention, you can use "dfwinfo" from the shell to get a
slightly better version of this info. If you're bored enough you can
script some basic stuff around this. In 7.5+ you won't be able to run
real code on the router any more, but maybe they'll be nice enough to
throw in perl or something at least slightly more useful than tcsh. :)

show firewall log = "dfwinfo -l"
show firewall log detail = "dfwinfo -l -d"
show firewall filter blah = "dfwinfo -f blah"

dfwinfo: Usage:
dfwinfo [-X]
dfwinfo [-X] -n [-f <filter name>]
dfwinfo [-X] -l [-d] [-f <filter name>] [-i <interface name>] [-t <date/time>]
dfwinfo [-X] -f <filter name> [-c <counter name>]
dfwinfo -r [-f <filter name>] [-c <counter name>]
dfwinfo -a [-f <filter name>] [-P <prefix action name] [-s <start>] [-e <end>]
dfwinfo -v Default prints counter information for all filters.
-n: Print names.
        Default prints all filter names.
        -f: Print all counter names for given filter.
-l: Print log entries.
        -d: Print log entries in detailed format.
        -f: Print log entries for this filter only.
        -i: Print log entries for this interface only.
        -t: Print log entries with timestamp later than given date/time.
            Format is "[[[yyyy-]mm-]dd-]hh:mm:ss"
-f: Print counter information for this filter.
        -c: Print this counter only.
-r: reset counter information.
-v: Print version information.
-p: Print interface policer information.
-X: Output as XML.
-a: Get prefix-action statistics-P: Prefix-action Name