[j-nsp] preferring shorter prefixes

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Jul 14 17:29:46 EDT 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 04:13:14PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> I want to basically say "all prefixes from AS A override those from AS
> B".  I cannot know ahead of time which prefixes they are or what the
> lengths are.  I would filter the longer/more specifics if I could
> identify that there was a shorter/less specific prefix in the routing
> table (there is no default route in the routing table in this case).

The only thing that trumps a more specific prefix is a different rib.

We've probably all faced that same exact problem from a policy perspective
at one point or another, and a diff rib is unfortunately the best answer.
It's not theoretically impossible to do what you want (you could just have
the software check for more/less specifics when doing best path seection
before installing into the rib), but don't expect to ever see a vendor
implement or support it. Also be careful not to exceed your dram/sram
capacity when making extra tables, and if you need to do it a lot or on a
large number of routes you are probably SOL.