[j-nsp] Multicast without tunnel pic

Raniery Pontes raniery at rnp.br
Tue Jul 18 19:06:41 EDT 2006

Hi,

 we´ve got some M320´s configured to run multicast (IGMP+PIM-SM). There
is also a static Rendeszvous Point running on a Cisco router.

AFAIK, when multicast distribution trees are built, there are some steps
where packet encapsulation is needed. But I believe it only happens with
traffic from multicast *sources* and not multicast *receivers* (which
only need to send IGMP joins).

Then my question is:  Is it possible to run multicast sources and/or
multicast receivers connected directly to these routers, without a
tunnel PIC?

I guess only receivers would work in this scenario, but I´d like to know
your opinion.

Thanks

Raniery