[j-nsp] traceroute w.x.y.z gateway a.b.c.d

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Jul 31 20:45:21 EDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:23:40PM -0400, Chuck Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 04:41:09PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> > > Is there any to just override the first routing decision without
> > > adding source route options?
> >
> > Maybe try "traceroute bypass-routing"?
>
> This still sends source-route options.  I've tried every option that
> sounds related to this, and none has worked.

Apparently, the "gateway" option invokes the BSD traceroute -g option:

  -g gateway
              Tells  traceroute to add an IP source routing option to the out-
              going packet that tells the network to route the packet through
              the  specified  gateway.   Not very useful, because most routers
              have disabled source routing for security reasons.

I'm not sure I understand why the "interface" option succeeds (but
doesn't give my desired result), because it uses the next-hop in the
routing table which isn't reachable by the interface I specified.
"monitor traffic" confirms that adding the "interface" option does
send traffic out that interface.

If I add "bypass-routing" I get:

traceroute: sendto: No route to host