[j-nsp] FW: strict-high priority queue

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Wed Jun 14 10:37:15 EDT 2006

Thanks, Harry.  I'm on an M20 running 7.5R2.8 and found that when
modifying the strict-high queue's transmit-rate percentage above 35%,
the queue would suddenly start dropping packets.  My strict-high queue
is configured for expedited-forwarding of voice traffic and even with
only a single 80k G.711 stream, the strict-high would drop packets if
configured at 40% transmit-rate.  The ef-class queue is using the
default drop profile:

be-scheduler {
    transmit-rate percent 50;
    buffer-size percent 50;
    priority low;
    drop-profile-map loss-priority low protocol non-tcp drop-profile
non-tcp-low-red;
    drop-profile-map loss-priority high protocol tcp drop-profile
tcp-high-red;
    drop-profile-map loss-priority low protocol tcp drop-profile
tcp-low-red;
    drop-profile-map loss-priority high protocol non-tcp drop-profile
non-tcp-high-red;
}
nc-scheduler {
    transmit-rate percent 5;
    buffer-size percent 5;
    priority high;
}
af-scheduler {
    transmit-rate percent 10;
    buffer-size percent 5;
    priority high;
}
ef-scheduler {
    transmit-rate percent 35;
    buffer-size percent 5;
    priority strict-high;
}

I've read in a C-vendor book that the serialization process is a
determining factor with real-time traffic on T1/E1 links and they don't
recommend setting a strict-high queue to more than 33%.  It's unclear to
me whether this is specific to the C-vendor implementation of low
latency queuing or a general rule of thumb.

evt