[j-nsp] G/E, 1000 BASE-LX on both sides shows up but not pingable

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Mar 8 00:14:02 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 08:08:02AM +0400, Mohammed Nematullah Khan wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses. I forgot to mention that this link is going
> via Dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) transmission network. DWDM
> transmission equipment is in the same building. I dont think so distance
> should be a problem. One doubt.....whether DWDM supports Ethernet? I read
> somewhere that it will support ATM and SONET/SDH. There is no mention of
> Ethernet.

It has nothing to do with DWDM itself, but the specific DWDM mux of your
carrier may not support Ethernet. In fact if it is non-metro, it probably
doesn't. 1G is generally considered too small to be a native wavelength
for anything non-metro, most longhaul systems are 2.5G or 10G waves. A lot
of newer systems support 10GE as well as OC192 over 10G waves, but a lot
of existing deployed systems don't.

Bottom line, not a Juniper problem. Consult your provider to determine the
type of gear you are on, and if their wavelength can support GigE.