[j-nsp] disappearing backup-router under 7.4?

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Wed Mar 8 02:09:57 EST 2006

--On March 7, 2006 10:10:15 PM -0800 Chris Cappuccio <chris at nmedia.net>
wrote:

> Michael Loftis [mloftis at wgops.com] wrote:
>>
>> I think the backup only stays in for as long as it takes to get rpd/etc
>> running.
>
> What's the point of it then?  Considering that I am not running any
> routing protocols and have no static routes defined yet..... Isn't the
> management network supposed to be completely separate, anyways? I suppose
> I need to read more documentation.

The point is to pin the machine down until it finishes booting and can
start actually using protocols and the PICs.  It takes the PICs, FEBs,
FPCs, etc, a while to get going.  In the meantime, if it needs to log
something, or if something goes wrong, the backup router is used.  After
startup completes rpd initiates and sets up the static routes/etc.

The Systems Basics (swconfig74-system-basics.pdf) doc makes note that this
is the expected, documented, behavior, even if a bit confusing. :)  It's
not used in the absence of any other routes, it's used in the absence of
routing processes. ;)