[j-nsp] G/E, 1000 BASE-LX on both sides shows up but not pingable

Matt Yaklin myaklin at g4.net
Wed Mar 8 08:48:49 EST 2006

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006, Mohammed Nematullah Khan wrote:

> Thanks for all the responses. I forgot to mention that this link is going
> via Dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) transmission network. DWDM
> transmission equipment is in the same building. I dont think so distance
> should be a problem. One doubt.....whether DWDM supports Ethernet? I read

I used to make DWDMs for Corning. I do not know of any limitation of
a DWDM carrying gige as long as the frequency matches the port you
are going into.

Can someone correct me if I am wrong? I always thought of
DWDMs as a very cleverly designed passive device that will simply
pass the light if it "fits" through the glass filters.

thanks,