[j-nsp] Transit only to some ISPs

Rafał Szarecki rszarecki at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 09:19:12 EST 2006

Hi,

This is common  issue on the world...
 First of all, You have to solve two cases:

1 how to play with traffic comming from Internet to customer.
This is simplest to do - just do not annouce perfixes of customer to COM
peer, and anouce to ACAD peer.

2 how to play with egress traffic (customer to  any IP exept AS A nad
prefixes from ACAD.
The best solution will be on router wher customer is conected, check
destination IP and if not belong to AS A and is not annouced by ACAD,
then drop packet.
Of course You need some clever way to generate filter. The ceneral
concept is to use DCU.
a) Base on information in inet.0 (as-path is empty or first (not
originating, which is last) AS on path is ACAD), set destination-class
flag. This has to be done on router where customer is connected.
b) write firewall filter, which in 1st term  match destination class and
accept. (implicite last term is drop all)
c) apply filter on customer interface for incoming traffic.

Known limitation of this solution:
- only 256 DCU are supported in latest JUNOS.
- Is some prefix is announced by COM and ACAD, and path via COM is
better, then traffic will be dropped (has to be droped, because other
way will be forwarded to COM). To overcome this you have to go for VPN
solution, Policy routing, or Policy routing+MPLS-TE .

Rafal Szarecki JNCIE