[j-nsp] Juniper Hidden Routes

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.net
Mon Nov 20 05:34:30 EST 2006

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 13:35:31 +0500
"FAHAD ALI KHAN" <fahad.alikhan at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hidden routes are the ones which are un-installed in routing table
> due to Import Routing policy or some other issues like, they may have
> an unresolvable next hop, or there may be a forwarding-table export
> filter that keeps them from being used.

Or simply that they have not been selected due to the best path
algorithm.

> They are of no use...if i reject them via import policy, but they will
> remain in my system....and surely occupy memory space....

They may be very useful to examine during troubleshooting scenarios.

> Is there any way to simply reject them and not put them locally on my
> router? So that i can save my router Memory.

'keep none' in the appropriate 'protocols bgp' sub-section.  I came
across this concern once before, although I don't know that I ever saw
a problem with hidden routes using up too much memory, it might be nice
if there was some sort of knob to limit the size of hidden routes.  I
would be interested in hearing any thoughts from others about that.

John