[j-nsp] ProLabs CWDM SFPs seem to work fine with Juniper GigE PICs

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Mon Oct 2 06:43:56 EDT 2006

> If they work, they work - but if you have problems, the official
> Juniper line is - they are not supported. Only Juniper branded SFP's
> are .. the JTAC would ask you to install a Juniper SFP if you have
> problems.

We are aware of this, and are prepared for it. However, so far we
haven't had *any* issues with using non Juniper branded SFPs - and we
use a *lot* of them. We've had plenty of JTAC cases where the routers
involved have had non Juniper branded SFPs - however, so far there have
been no JTAC cases specifically involving problems *with the GigE ports
and such SFPs*.

Juniper has some silly rule that you have to buy one or more SFPs from
them when buying a chassis with GigE ports. For us it is cheaper to
always buy SX SFPs from Juniper (then using them in the lab, throwing
them away, etc.), and then get separate LX/LH SFPs in larger quantities
from our regular SFP vendors.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no