[j-nsp] Alternatives to floating static routes?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Tue Oct 3 14:09:04 EDT 2006

Running any sort of IGP with a customer (or any external entity) is
just asking for trouble...

If Customer has a flapping link or they suddenly start announcing a
large number of LSAs, etc. you will feel a large amount of pain...

BGP with private ASes is really easy to configure, provides a clean a
clear demarc and allows you to protect your infrastructure from a:
maliciousness and b: accidental mis-configurations.... If Customer
cannot configure this, you can always email them a template config....

On Oct 3, 2006, at 8:58 AM, Wade Sheridan wrote:

> Dario,
>
> Couldn't you run an OSPF area which would contain both the
> customers routers
> and your interface.  That way if the link from Customer 1 and the
> switch
> goes down, you'd loose your neighbor but you'd keep getting the
> routes from
> Customer 2 with a slightly higher metric?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wade
>

> On 10/3/06, Dario <dario.donsion at soporte.rediris.es> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We need to develop a solution to provide redundancy for two of our
>> clientes, connected to us via our
>> Cisco Catalyst 2950.
>>
>> This is the topology:
>>                                  [FastEth]
>>        Router Customer 1       ------------- |
>> [GigaEth]
>>                                                 |  Cat 2950
>> --------------- Juniper M40e
>>        Router Customer 2       ------------- |
>>                                  [FastEth]
>>
>> Right now we have static routes in our Juniper to connect with each
>> customer. The customers have the
>> posibility to connect their routers. Each one request us to
>> reroute its
>> networks via the other customer when
>> its link fails.
>>
>> We first think in floating static routes, two routes for each
>> customer,
>> the actual one and other via the
>> other customer with more metric.
>>
>> But it'll no work because if for example the link between the
>> Customer 1
>> and our CAT 2950 fails, our
>> Juniper see the link with the CAT 2950 up (no possibility to
>> configure
>> keepalives), then the active route
>> is the static route without metric, it never changes to the floating
>> route.
>>
>> BGP (using prepends,...) is a solution but we prefer another one if
>> possible. Any ideas?
>>
>> Many thanks and best regards,
>>
>>        Dario D.

No man is an island, But if you take a bunch of dead guys and tie
them together, they make a pretty good raft.
                 --Anon.