[j-nsp] Juniper Ethernet MTU question

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Wed Oct 4 15:45:41 EDT 2006

Adding a correction based on some actual testing.

It seems like when mpls mtu is automatically calculated that it subtract
12 bytes (for 3 level label stack) from device mtu. Testing shows that
when you manually configure the mpls family mtu there is no such math,
so you are actually configuring the mpls *pdu*, which includes data and
headers.

With inet and mpls set to 1500 on a device mtu of 1526, I was only able
to generate 1492 byte datagrams as an ingress node. This was 1492, and
not the expected 1496 (single label is needed in this setup) because IP
frag is based on 8 bytes offsets. When I set inet mtu to 1500 and mpls
mtu to 1504 I was able to send full length 1500 bytes packets. If two
ore more labels were needed I would have been back to fragmenting, so
I'm updating recommended jni setting for ios compatibility to the
following:

[edit interfaces ge-0/3/0]
harry at milhouse# show
mtu 1526;
unit 0 {
    family inet {
        mtu 1500;
        address 1.23.1.2/24;
    }
    family iso;
    family mpls {
        mtu 1512; <<<<<< allows up to 3 labels while still doing 1500
byte IP.
    }
}

[edit interfaces ge-0/3/0]
harry at milhouse# run show interfaces ge-0/3/0
Physical interface: ge-0/3/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
  Interface index: 133, SNMP ifIndex: 27
  Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1526, Speed: 1000mbps, Loopback:
Disabled, Source filtering: Disabled,
  Flow control: Enabled
  Device flags   : Present Running
  Interface flags: SNMP-Traps 16384
  Link flags     : None
  CoS queues     : 4 supported
  Current address: 00:90:69:6f:64:5d, Hardware address:
00:90:69:6f:64:5d
  Last flapped   : 2006-10-04 10:09:44 PDT (02:34:29 ago)
  Input rate     : 0 bps (0 pps)
  Output rate    : 0 bps (0 pps)
  Active alarms  : None
  Active defects : None

  Logical interface ge-0/3/0.0 (Index 68) (SNMP ifIndex 31)
    Flags: SNMP-Traps Encapsulation: ENET2
    Protocol inet, MTU: 1500
      Flags: User-MTU
      Addresses, Flags: Is-Preferred Is-Primary
        Destination: 1.23.1/24, Local: 1.23.1.2, Broadcast: 1.23.1.255
    Protocol iso, MTU: 1509
      Flags: Is-Primary
    Protocol mpls, MTU: 1512
      Flags: Is-Primary, User-MTU