[j-nsp] BGP RR in MPLS VPN

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Tue Oct 10 09:04:46 EDT 2006

If your next hops are the loopbacks of the PE's, you can always have those
in your inet.3 table.  But you are correct, if the RR cannot resolve that
next hop then the route will not be used or sent to other peers.

If you do something like next-hop-self on the RR, then you most definitely
will need to involve the RR in your LSPs.  But otherwise, it can be avoided.

While it would be nice if there were a way to disable that check, according
to JunOS docs, it still notes that the RR is not "supported" for VPN routes
for this reason.  (e.g. this is workaround, not an officially supported
thing at this time!)

It's nice to do this to have the LSPs where it makes sense, and simply use
the RR as an efficient mechanism to exchange routing information.

Scott