[j-nsp] rpd DDoS?

Joerg Staedele / Trusted Network js at tnib.de
Fri Sep 1 02:33:28 EDT 2006

Dear colleagues,

last night we expirienced a really strange problem.

At 0:58 CEST all of our Peering Sessions at INXS dropped. While this
happend, our internal LDP Session got also lost. Reason unknown. No
interfaces went down.

Some seconds later the sessions came up again.

At 01:08 CEST the Peering Sessions dropped again and this time ALL of
our iBGP, OSPF and LDP Sessions got dropped too. Reason unknown, no
interfaces went down!

I know from other members that they expirienced an outage at INXS at the
same time. Interesting thing is, that the traffic graphs from the INXS
Website show a high increases of outgoing (only!) traffic at the same time.

Logs do now show anything unusual beside the down/up messages of the peers.

But: Why the hell does this cause the rpd to loose all its connections??

Juniper M10 RE333 with JunOS 7.4R3.4 ...

What can be the cause? Overloaded rpd? This is really frustrating :(

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen,

 Joerg Staedele

:  Trusted Network (TNIB) :  fon +49-89-37006640  :    www.tnib.de    :