[j-nsp] rpd DDoS?

Niels Bakker niels=juniper-nsp at bakker.net
Fri Sep 1 05:50:27 EDT 2006

* leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com (Leigh Porter) [Fri 01 Sep 2006, 09:44 CEST]:
>Sabri Berisha wrote:
>>On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 09:35:54AM +0200, Joerg Staedele / Trusted Network wrote:
>>>Meanwhile i heard that other members from the INXS expirienced high CPU
>>>usage on their C routers also and lost some BGP Sessions.
>>Could it be a layer 2 loop on the peering lan? Perhaps some
>>multicast-traffic looping causing cpu and fxp0 to saturate?
>However he also lost internal LDP..

However, Sabri said high cpu load which could cause a loss of internal
LDP if the CPU lags behind in sending keepalives.  Just like it would
cause BGP sessions to drop: not because the interface to the peering LAN
is completely saturated but because the CPU has no cycles left.

My money's on a layer-2 loop at the exchange, also given the fact of
graphs with a lot of extra output traffic

	-- Niels.