[j-nsp] Adaptive services(1)

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Sep 25 17:11:53 EDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 09:36:40PM +0200, Jonas Frey wrote:
> Speaking of E-FPC's, anyone got a link to a list regarding differences
> between E-FPC and FPC? I once a page with details but it seems i lost
> the link.
> I know there are differences on QoS queues and memory, but i dont recall
> the details.

Besides the obvious published difference of more QoS queues supported, the
other differences I've run across are:

* You need FPC-E to support certain types of PICs period. For example I
  have a 1GE-SFP-QPP which will only run on an FPC-E (well, it will run
  on an FPC, but it can't RECEIVE .1q tagged trafic properly, tx and
  untagged seems to work, and the offical documentation position is that
  it requires FPC-E).

* As the code and features have grown over the years, the microcode space
  on the original FPC has run low. The FPC-E's have more space to let you
  run "all combinations" of PICs (ATM, SONET, Ethernet, AS etc) on a
  single FPC.

* The change between B-Chip 2.0 and 3.0 increased the amount of packet
  header that can be rewritten. For example on FPC non-E if you run an
  MPLS l2circuit OVER a .1q tagged circuit and leave control-word on, you
  will exceed the L2RW capacity and the router will crash and burn (on
  M160 it corrupts the FIB royally :P).

And probably a great many more. If there isn't a comprehensive list of
changes published on Juniper's website (and somehow I doubt they will ever
publish the feature differences in the B-Chip versions etc), I'd really
like to get this onto a juniper.cluepon.net page. Perhaps other people can
add to this list, or someone from Juniper can describe the changes in more
detail.