[j-nsp] monitoring for jitter

Kirby Files Kfiles at masergy.com
Tue Sep 26 16:49:42 EDT 2006

On Tuesday, September 26, Jeremy Kister wrote:
> I'm trying to monitor my provider based MPLS network for jitter so
> that I may proactively respond to customer problems.

> Cisco's solution is rather easily found:
> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/126/saa.html

> I've been searching for a similar solution for Juniper M10i gear,
> but have been coming up empty.

We use iperf (http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/) for jitter
measurement. I've found that creating a simple xinetd-invoked proxy
allows for easy centralized control and port management of iperf. Of
course, if you don't have a performance management server in each POP,
that may be a less useful model for you.

---
Kirby Files
Software Architect
Masergy Communications