[j-nsp] How to prefer short prefixes ?

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Thu Sep 28 13:50:26 EDT 2006

I believe the whole world works with the idea of longest-prefix match.  Any
other features that you change are to prevent a TIE in routes of the same
prefix length (like local pref, origin, AS-Path, etc.)...

So I think you may do what we all do.  Filter things.  Perhaps just a
generic filter there for only accepting /19's or bigger.  Or as specific as
you want for this particular case.

Or you can ask the announcer to stop doing that, but most likely won't
happen.

Do make sure to ask WHY something is being advertised that way!  Perhaps
there is some relationship that makes it necessary.  While you/your company
may not care, others might.

Just a thought.  But can't change the routing world that easily other than
filtering.

HTH,

Scott
swm at emanon.com