[j-nsp] Conditional advertisting to an upstream

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 16 05:21:19 EDT 2007

Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, Phil Mayers wrote:
>> The upstreams provide us a default and we route as appropriate. What I
>> want now is for the M7is to conditionally advertise the various site
>> route aggregates based on the adjacency to the neighbouring core being
>> up.
>>
>> Specifically I'd rather not "generate" an aggregate based on the
>> presence of a contributing route, since a significant portion of the
>> routes are not subnetted, so I'd have to have two types of configuration
>> and would like to maintain the simplicity. At the moment we're single
>> connected and I'm using static nulls, but obviously I need these to be
>> withdrawn if the link into the core goes down.
>
> You could use a 'generate' rather than an aggregate route, and generate

I had been confused by the following statement in the JunOS docs:

"""A generated route becomes active when it has one or more contributing
routes. A contributing route is an active route that is a more specific
match for the generated destination.... A route can contribute only to a
  single generated route."""

Which implies to me that the policy is only applied to potentially
contributing routes i.e. in your example below the policy would never
"see" the 0.0.0.0/0 since it's not a contributer. The wording in the
later docs support this.

Is this not in fact the case?