[j-nsp] route selection using BGP communities

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Mon Apr 16 05:31:36 EDT 2007

On Sun, 15 Apr 2007, waqas Mohammad wrote:
> I have two upstream providers i am running BGP , i am receiving prefixes
> with BGP community TAG from my customer's router he want to select one of my
> up stream provider for out going . currently route selection is on AS PATH
> Length.
>
> what configuration should I do to send the traffic using community tags
> receiving from my customer.

This seems like a non-trivial problem.  It seems you will need to
(unless this is supported by your own topology and own traffic
patterns and requirements) to perform policy-based routing for that
customer or set up a tunnel.

You might need to use filter-based forwarding for this.  If I recall
correctly, and this may have changed since then, FBF couldn't be
configured using community tags but rather required more static
configuration (e.g., a prefix-list).

OTOH, affecting customer's upstream provider for _incoming_ could
probably be achieved without policy-based routing.